Official (ISC)² SSCP CBK Online Self-Paced Training
Gain access to pre-recorded video content from an (ISC)2 Authorized Instructor and official courseware. You’ll get complete autonomy to learn on your schedule, at your pace.
Course content is offered in English.
This course provides a comprehensive review of information security concepts and industry best practices, covering the following seven domains of the SSCP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK®):
- • Domain 1: Security Operations and Administration
- • Domain 2: Access Controls
- • Domain 3: Risk Identification, Monitoring and Analysis
- • Domain 4: Incident Response and Recovery
- • Domain 5: Cryptography
- • Domain 6: Network and Communications Security
- • Domain 7: Systems and Application Security
Who Should Take this Course:
This course is for individuals planning to pursue the SSCP certification. The SSCP is the ideal certification for those with proven technical skills and practical, hands-on security knowledge in operational IT roles. It provides confirmation of a practitioner's ability to implement, monitor, and administer IT infrastructure in accordance with information security policies and procedures that ensure data confidentiality, integrity and availability.
The SSCP is intended for professionals who have a minimum of one year cumulative work experience in one or more of the seven domains of the SSCP CBK. A one-year prerequisite pathway will be granted for candidates who receive a degree (bachelor's or master's) in a cybersecurity program.
Prior to taking this course the learner should have experience, skills, or knowledge obtained while serving in the following roles:
- • Network Security Engineer
- • IT/Systems/Network Administrator
- • Security Analyst
- • Systems Engineer
- • Security Consultant/Specialist
- • Security Administrator
- • Systems/Network Analyst
- • Database Administrator
- • Individuals operating in a security operations center (SOC) environment performing the role of incident handler, SIEM, forensics specialist, threat intel researcher, etc.
- • 180-day access to official course content:
- • 22+ hours of video-based instructional content
- • 20 content-specific learning activities and 12 applied scenarios
- • 61 knowledge checks
- • 8 end-of-chapter quizzes with answer feedback
- • 160-question post-course assessment with answer feedback
- • Online interactive flash cards
- • Glossary of terms
- • 24x7x365 chat technical support
- • Instructor email support
- • Official (ISC)2 Certificate of Completion
- • Course Completion Badge
- • Education Guarantee (below for details)
What to Expect:
This is an interactive online self-paced course offering the learner the flexibility to work through the content and activities at their own pace over a 180-day period. Estimated time to complete the course is 40 hours.
Online Self-Paced Training with on-demand access to recorded video content from an (ISC)2 Authorized Instructor who guides you through the course in a learn-at-your-own-pace environment. To broaden the understanding of material, content will be taught through a series of presentations, scenario-based activities, application quizzes and real-world case studies.
In addition to lecture-based instruction, learners will work individually through activities designed to broaden understanding of the material. This course includes the following activities:
12 Applied Scenario Activities
Throughout the course, there is a recurring fictional scenario in which learners imagine being a security professional engaged as a key part of the security team for a start-up company called International Medical Imaging (IMI). IMI is developing new and highly portable picture archiving and communication systems that produce and archive medical images and communicates them via wired and wireless networks. As the scenario builds across all course chapters, learners are tasked with developing a security solution for the company that will satisfy investors, protect research data, protect customer privacy and comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
61 Knowledge Checks
These content-specific questions review core concepts through interactive exercises and feedback and support student learning through reflection and reinforcement.
20 Content-Specific Activities
Content-specific activities include interactive exercises that encourage critical thinking on topics that focus on problem solving or applying student learning to the real world.
8 End-of-Chapter Quizzes
Each chapter concludes with a graded quiz, with feedback, to assess comprehension of the learning within the chapter.
160-Question Post-Course Assessment
The course concludes with a graded post-course assessment designed to validate learning and identify areas for further study. The assessment includes answer feedback.
Included is a comprehensive list of terms with definitions used throughout the course.
Interactive Online Flash Cards
Flash cards provide an interactive learning tool for learners to test their knowledge of the most common industry terms represented within the Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) of the SSCP.
Instructor Support through Email
(ISC)2 Authorized instructors are available via email to help learners with content-related questions as they work through the course. Learners will receive responses to inquiries within 48 hours.
(ISC)² wants our candidates to successfully pass their certification exam and achieve their goal of earning an (ISC)² credential. Included with this course is our Education Guarantee. If you do not pass the exam after completing our training seminar, you can take a second self-paced Training seminar at no cost to you (within one year from the end of the initial seminar). The Education Guarantee covers the cost of the second course only. You will have to pay the full price for your second attempt of the exam.
Course Learning Objectives:
At the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- • Describe security and the alignment of asset management to risk management.
- • Appraise risk management options and the use of access controls to protect assets.
- • Examine the field of cryptography to secure information and communication.
- • Build a security posture by securing software, data, and endpoints.
- • Apply network and communications security to establish a secure networked environment.
- • Evaluate cloud and wireless security.
- • Prepare for incident detection and response.
- • Implement appropriate measures that contribute to the maturation of risk management.
Note: Chapter learning objectives provided below.
Chapters Covered in this Course:
Chapter 1: Introducing Security and Aligning Asset Management to Risk Management
- • Classify information security and security concepts.
- • Summarize components of the asset management lifecycle .
- • Identify common risks and vulnerabilities.
- • Provide examples of appropriate risk treatment.
Chapter 2: Understanding Risk Management Options and the Use of Access Controls to Protect Assets
- • Provide examples of functional security controls and policies for identified scenarios.
- • Classify various access control models.
- • Identify components of the identity management lifecycle.
- • Recognize access control and authentication methods.
Chapter 3: Cryptography
- • Identify the fundamental concepts of cryptography driving requirements and benefits.
- • Recognize symmetric encryption methods.
- • Use asymmetric encryption methods.
- • Examine Public-Key Infrastructure (PKI) systems and certificates.
- • Summarize fundamental key management terms and concepts.
- • Recognize how to implement secure protocols.
- • Review methods of cryptanalytic attack.
Chapter 4: Securing Software, Data, and Endpoints
- • Discuss software systems and application security.
- • Recognize data security concepts and skills.
- • Identify malicious code and countermeasures.
- • Evaluate Mobile Device Management (MDM) and security issues with mobile and autonomous endpoints.
- • Review attacks and countermeasures for virtual machines.
Chapter 5: Network and Communications Security
- • Recognize layers of the OSI Model, their functions, and attacks present at each layer.
- • Identify commonly used ports and protocols.
- • Select appropriate countermeasures for various network attacks.
- • Summarize best practices for establishing a secure networked environment.
Chapter 6: Cloud and Wireless Security
- • Recall cloud security concepts and configurations.
- • Recognize types of virtualization and cloud security considerations.
- • Summarize the types of telecommunications and network access controls.
Chapter 7: Incident Detection and Response
- • Review the steps for monitoring, incident detection, and data loss prevention using all source intelligence.
- • Identify the elements of an incident response policy and members of the incident response team (IRT).
- • Classify the SSCP's role in supporting forensic investigations.
Chapter 8: Maturing Risk Management
- • Identify operational aspects of change management.
- • Summarize physical security considerations.
- • Design a security education and awareness strategy.
- • Recognize common security assessment activities.
- • Classify the components of a business continuity plan and disaster recovery plan.
Note: Throughout this course, exam domains may be covered in several chapters. Included in the course is a table indicating where the exam outline objectives are covered in this course. Unique icons are also used through the course materials to identify exam outline objectives.
The following are system requirements needed to enhance your overall learning experience.
A stable and continuous internet connection is required. In order to record your completion of the online learning courses, please ensure you are connected to the internet at all times while taking the course.
- • Processor 2 GHz +
- • RAM 4 GB +
- • Monitor minimum resolution (1024 x 768)
- • Video Card
- • Keyboard and Mouse or other assistive technology
- • Speakers/Headphones – (Noise-cancelling headset is recommended)
- • Microphone
- • Camera (recommended)
Supported Operating Systems
- • Macintosh OS X 10.10 to present
- • Windows 10 to present
- • Google Chrome
- • Microsoft Edge
- • Mozilla Firefox
- • Adobe Reader: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Requirements for Completion:
In order to complete the course, receive a certificate of completion and earn (ISC)2 continuing professional education (CPE) credits, learners must:
- • Complete all learning activities within the course.
- • Complete a course evaluation.
- • Score 70% or higher on the end-of-chapter quizzes and final assessment.
Certificate of Completion:
An electronic Certificate of Completion will be provided once you have completed the course by meeting all the requirements. We recommend that you download and retain the certificate of completion as proof of credits earned.
To download a PDF version of the certificate, go to the "Awards" tab of (ISC)2 Learn (top menu), select the course and then "Generate Certificate."
40 CPE Credits
CPE credits for (ISC)2 credentials must be self-reported by members and associates through the (ISC)2 CPE Portal accessible via www.isc2.org using your member login credentials.
CPE credits earned for this course may be eligible for continuing professional education credits for non-(ISC)² certifications. Please visit the continuing education requirements established by the credentialing organization for eligibility.
For specific questions related to your CPE credits or the CPE portal please contact member support - email@example.com.
The Official (ISC)2 CBK Training Seminar for the SSCP has earned ACE CREDIT. Students who complete the course can apply for two hours of lower division credit at participating universities and colleges. Find out more at ACE.
Refunds for any (ISC)2 courses will not be provided.
Access to course content: 180 days.
Pricing available at checkout.
Have Questions About Purchasing?
Interested in purchasing this course on behalf of someone, or want to learn about team discounts?
Please contact your regional office:
(ISC)2 Americas Regional Office
Phone: +1-866-331-ISC2 (4722) ext. 2
(ISC)2 EMEA Regional Office
Phone: +44 (0)203.960.7800
(ISC)2 APAC Regional Office